Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oldeuboi

Old Boy
Dir. Chan-wook Park
59/300

This film was recommended by Mr. Pfister a while back, but it took me a while to get to it.  So, sorry and thank you!  Hope life is going well for you back in Indiana!

I like how this movie is as a revenge movie, but not in the way you'd think.  It seems simple enough.  Guy is locked up for seemingly no reason, and when he gets out, he's after his captor.  But they decide he's not out for blood necessarily.  I mean, he'll get blood if anyone gets in the way, but he's more after information.  What can happen to a person that makes them feel like that was warranted?  They play on the human condition of curiosity.  It also holds a very interesting commentary on what sins are worthy of punishment and stretching people to a point where revenge is their only motivating factor.  What can come after it's taken?

The movie features some very epic fight scenes.  Although a little slow at the beginning, it really picks up in the last hour.

And a side note, don't try watching this movie dubbed (as this is how it's on Netflix watch instantly)  I started watching it like that, but within about 5 minutes couldn't stand the Tommy Wiseau sounding voice actors.  Just suck it up and turn on the subtitles!

Otherwise, I'd recommend this movie for sure!  Not for the conservative audience necessarily, but even still.  Thanks for the recommendation Ryan!

120 + 6161 = 6281

1 comment:

  1. This movie knocked me on my butt the first time I watched it.
    I was so impressed throughout by the directing and plot development. But then the final 20 minutes or so, I'll admit, are almost impossible to analyze on a cinematic level. My friend and I just watched in silence. When he's flipping through the photo album...leading all the way up to the flashback on the bridge..
    When the elevator door opens (don't want to spoil anything for anyone) was like the release of all this build-up. I just let my breath out in an exhausted noise.

    Since, I've made it a point to watch all of Park Chan-wook's stuff. And he hasn't disappointed in any of his works.

    ReplyDelete