Saturday, April 9, 2011

La Jetee

La Jetee
Dir. Chris Marker
60/300

When a friend and I were sitting on the couch flipping through the new movies added to Hulu Plus, he said I should watch this film.  I read the words "still images" saw that it was in black and white, and replied, "Yeah...  Right.  Looks like a blast."  He of course replied with "It's only 28 minutes long, you really should give it a try."

After thinking about it for a couple days, and mulling over the idea of making an entire movie out of still images and it somehow ending up part of the Criterion Collection I became curious.  So, this evening I clicked into it and was completely blown away.

The idea of making the movie with pictures rather than a movie wasn't a cop out, but instead a very calculated move on the filmmaker's part.  This movie is a lot about people's memories, and they sort of trick you into testing yours out.  Many people can vividly remember photographs, and then when they put greater emphasis on certain ones with more screen time through longer takes or shorter quick flashes, you begin without realizing it remembering many of the moments.  On top of this, the movie's subject matter is about the exploration of a person's memory for use in time travel to help save the human race just after WWIII.

It's a little movie that doesn't seem to be much in theory, but really packs a punch.  A must-see in my opinion.  I feel like I can definitely find inspiration in this, I hope others can too.  It begins a little odd and slow, but just give it the full 28 minutes, and you won't regret it.

Viewed 4/9 on Hulu Plus
28 + 6281 =6309

No comments:

Post a Comment