Friday, April 8, 2011

Jackie Brown

Jackie Brown
Dir. Quentin Tarantino
50/300

After most of my views, I like to read what others have to say about the movies on imdb and online news articles and such.  I was EXTREMELY surprised to see how many people thought this was Quentin's worst piece of work as I loved the movie so much.  Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite Tarantino flicks that I've encountered.

I guess my reasoning may have been different for liking the movie than others though.  It seemed that others going into the movie expected another "flamboyant" Tarantino movie,  and the Blacksploitation movie that ensued left them with a bad taste in their mouth.  And at the time, that wouldn't have been expected.  From my vantage point, I had already seen and fallen in love with Quentin taking on the Grindhouse style and embodying it in his movies in his own way.  So, knowing what he was capable of in that respect, and knowing how much of a fan he is of certain kinds of filmmaking styles.  I got to come into this movie with a privileged view that critics of 1997 didn't.

I'm a huge admirer, of course, of Tarantino.  I feel like this whole study I'm doing with these 300 movies is inspired for sure by filmmakers like him that don't just make movies.  They love movies.  They watch them, and each one is a learning experience and has something to offer the viewer in an educational sense, not just escapist cinema.  There's inspiration in this kind of art, if you just know where to look.
RIP Sally Menke.

154 + 5260 = 5414

No comments:

Post a Comment