Friday, February 25, 2011

A place you can go to have a good time...


15/300
The Room
Dir. Tommy Wiseau

I want to begin with an apology.  I am so sorry that I'm following up such a great classic with this movie.

But, onward and downward, I suppose.  The Room is a movie that makes me feel better about my own movies, and seems to reiterate the idea that you should 'write what you know'.  Tommy, seems to have lived under a rock until this point, and doesn't seem to fully understand how humans interact with one another.  This seems to be a classic example of a movie made by a foreign director who only has enough knowledge of a language to follow along with the translating cassettes they used to learn it, but has taken it upon himself to make a movie for the American public.  Take that into account and don't have much of a budget and mix in some unknown casting from off the street, and wha-la, you have a cult classic. Another movie that I seem to have become obsessed with after watching Best Worst Movie (a fantastic documentary with heart, that everyone should see) that seems to follow in the same vein is Troll 2.

It amazes me, though, after watching the commentary of this as to how completely oblivious Tommy seems to be to the movie's success through being so very terrible.  I'm not sure if it has to do with his still slipping grasp on the English language or it's reality he has the issues with.  Either way, a very quotable movie to watch with friends for inside jokes later.  Definitely not a movie I'd be comfortable sitting next to Tommy Wiseau to view.

"You invited all my friends.  Good thinking!"

Run time 99 min + 1687 = 1786 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment