Monday, February 14, 2011

I've found my Rushmore.


12/300
Rushmore
Dir. Wes Anderson

I loved this movie.

The more Wes Anderson I watch, the more I like his style.  I still think that The Darjeeling Limited is my favorite so far (could be stemmed a little from my fixation with Adrien Brody ever since I saw the Brothers Bloom).  Maybe it's an acquired taste?  Or maybe the more I watch, the more I feel like I understand his sense of humor?  Either way, this movie made me happy and content in a way Anderson only can.

A couple things I like about Anderson movies:
Color schemes - teal blue/green and orange.  It's simple color wheel stuff, but these colors were meant to be used together.
Fish tanks/underwater environments always look amazing on film.
Laughably awkward characters, but you don't laugh, because you always feel a little bad for their socially inept ways.  And you always want them to make it.
And his casting of the Wilson Brothers, and more often than not, Bill Murray.

Back to Rushmore though, this is a coming of age tale chronicling a teenager that thinks he knows what he wants.  I say thinks, because he really doesn't seem to have any idea who he is, or where he fits in within school or even the world.  For instance, he creates clubs for anything and everything and is in nearly every extracurricular, but he isn't especially good at any of them.  But it seems like throughout the film, he is hurt over and over, thinking he has lost his "Rushmore", but in the end, finds something that just fits.
A good feel good movie, but not escapist.  The humor makes you think, and the awkwardness makes you smile.  I hope to never loose my Rushmore, but if I do, this movie makes me know, I'll be alright.

I can't wait to watch Bottle Rocket.

Run time 93 minutes +1336 =1429

No comments:

Post a Comment