Monday, February 14, 2011

And you too Mama?

11/300
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Dir. Alfonso Cuaron

I'll start by saying that I'm not sure that I have seen many movies that "Sexually Charged" and "Wildly Erotic" described so well.  Sex seems to show itself as a strong motivating factor in this story, and doesn't seem to be ashamed to hide it.  In most American films that sense is there, but it's more of a background, understood thing what people's true intentions are.  And not only that, sex isn't glorified or made to look like two perfectly polished people having a beautiful moment.

It seems more honest for some reason.  It is almost like Luisa holds some kind of key to unleash the animal instincts of the human condition.  I'm not sure if it's due to her situation in life or some other reason, but it's almost as if in the overall scheme of things, she holds an omniscient vantage point of the boy's wants and thoughts.  It is very hard to explain what I'm trying to put into words.  The ways she comes into the boy's lives, exposes their secrets both personal, sexual, and social, and then floats back out of their lives just seems almost like a phase in their lives they had to go through to reach maturity and grow up.

Anyway, I feel like there is much to say on this topic, but I'm not going to over-analyze it.  I believe this may be the first Mexican film I've ever seen, which kind of surprises me, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.  It was a pretty good watch though, but not conservative in nature whatsoever.  So, I guess, my advice is to not pop this movie in to watch with your grandma.

run time 105min +1231 = 1336 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment