Friday, May 20, 2011

Super

Super
Dir. James Gun
70/300

I'm not sure Kyle and I have ever really left the movie theater with such polar opposite views on a movie before this one.  As we walked out of the theater there was the typical "So, what'd you think"?  And he just laughed and said, "I loved it!"

Going into this movie it looked like it was going to be a fun, gritty, real take on the average super hero movie.  The trailers flashed funny images of Rainn Wilsonand Ellen Page trying to make up their own super heros.  The trouble though, is that this movie is anything but light hearted, nor is a laugh a minute.  I don't base my decisions to like or not like a movie on it's trailer though.  

The issues I had with this movie were the things it seemed to blow right past.  The three rape (or near rape) scenes, killing kids, drug use...  This movie is way darker than it tries to let on.  The scenes are too bright and pretty, almost as if it were being glossed over to put the audience at ease with these images.  I was horrified.  Don't get me wrong, these things happen in a lot of movies, even movies that I do enjoy.  But the issue is in the portrayal.  These things are not funny when they're put into a realism setting like this movie. 

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this film, but don't take my word for it.  As I said before, Kyle loved it.  To each their own.

96 + 7236 = 7332

No comments:

Post a Comment