Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giorni e Nuvole


23/300
Days and Clouds
Dir. Silvio Soldini

I felt like this was more of a "I can't believe I still haven't seen this" movie.  I've met Silvio Soldini at the Auckland International Film Festival when I was living in New Zealand, and I've always really liked Bread and Tulips.  But somehow, I didn't see his film that was actually in the festival until nearly two years later.   Such is life, I suppose.

Anyway, this movie was a very interesting discourse on work and identity.  When a man looses his job, he seems to fall into this interesting phase of his life where he doesn't know who he is anymore, or how to move forward.  I've always been a little scared of becoming my job, and have always had issues with a job defining oneself.  Maybe this is because I've never really had "that kinda job" yet, but I don't know.  I'm an artist, but I'll never get paid to do so.

Back to topic.  The movie chronicles a family down on their luck after having not saved much and lived a life they enjoyed while they had the money, until the breadwinner looses his job and has no luck finding new work.  Of course, the wife tries to make a living for them, but also to no avail. With their lack of income, dislike for their new surroundings, and loss of self, their marriage begins to get shaky as well. I feel like this movie could really strike a cord, not only with those who were affected by the 2008/09 recession, but with new college grads trying to figure out what's next.

Maybe I'm just drawing a line between the last few films and this one, but either way, you really don't get the restful feeling at the end knowing everything will be alright like you did in the previous.  This movie kind of made me want to get up off the couch, and try to find a better paying job before my life falls apart, and I'm not even in any financial trouble (knock on wood).  So, I guess, if you need some motivation, check this out on Netflix watch instantly.  And if you don't you should watch this one and follow it up with Bread and Tulips.  I love that movie.

Run time 118 min + 2472 = 2545 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment