Monday, January 31, 2011

Some Punch Drunk Lovin'

2/300
Punch Drunk Love
Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson

Yet another character piece from Paul Thomas, only this I liked.  I had some major issues with There Will be Blood and Boogie Nights just didn't do it for me either (no pun intended).  But this movie was...  well... sweet.  Maybe I didn't like the others because I had issues connecting to the characters individually that he was building?  Who knows.  But, Barry was so lovable, it was hard not to connect with him and want to see what was next for him.

So, there were a couple things in this movie that really worked for me.  One being the suit.  The beautifully unique, blue suit.  I feel like the suit was Barry in a nutshell.  He wished to present himself to the world in  this professional way, but the world just couldn't take him seriously.  I loved the way the suit fit the part and the way it stuck out just enough among the black suits in the airport and even just against his co-worker's button down t-shirts.  It was one of those choices that just fit.

Adam Sandler.  Wow.  So, I had seen Sandler do serious before and always wished he'd just stick with what he knew.  ie. Spanglish.  But this character was perfect for him.  I don't feel like it was too much of a stretch for him, and I feel like he nailed it with even just his littlest actions.  The way he grits his teeth, the way he hides in the corner from his sister, I think this had to have been somewhat tough on a casting director, but I'm not sure it would have worked with anyone else.  This is probably my favorite Sandler movie now.

And a small thing that really moved me was the relationship that was growing like a weed in cracked pavement.  Anderson did some amazing things capturing this, but I particularly liked the shot where they are hugging in Hawaii and everyone is buzzing around them.  Like in the midst of chaos, love will find a way.

But there were moments where I could have easily seen the relationship taking a turn, and if it hadn't been for her want to be with him, things never would have worked.  He's a constant mood killer.  After their first kiss, he assures her that he's not crazy, even if his sister says so, and even right after cuddling in the motel room, he tells her about having taken out some rage in the bathroom at the restaurant they were kicked out of.  At any one of these points, had it been a classic hollywood movie, the bouncing blond would have turn and ran away, but all of the characters in this film were just so very human.

The honesty of the film keeps it going.  Well, that and the comedic breaks with the sex phone operator and her mob.

Not sure why, but it kind of made me think of Tony Scott's True Romance, only less violent.
148 minutes +95=243 viewing minutes so far

2 comments:

  1. You've seen Magnolia though, right? I still feel that's his best film. And P.T. even says it himself and furthermore said it will likely always be his best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goin' on the list. Kyle has it, and I've eyed it a couple times, but never seen it.

    ReplyDelete