Friday, January 28, 2011

300 movies by 25.

I'd like to take a moment to explain myself and my little project.

I'm a 24 year old student of film.  By this, I mean I've already graduated with a BS in Radio-TV-Film, but when it comes to movies, as it goes with other mediums as well, I'm sure, no one ever stops learning or being schooled by the craft.

So, I've decided that in order to better myself as not only a filmmaker, but as a human being in general, I am challenging myself to consume 300 films that I have not yet seen and blog about each encounter before I turn 25.  I will be taking requests (here at my blog, and at my facebook account).  The point of this exercise is for my readers and friends to find those movies that they don't feel like anyone could live without seeing and help me flush out the "I cannot believe you have never seen this before!"'s and the "how have you made it this long without seeing this?!" and to replace them with open and honest dialog about these experiences.

This is not meant to alienate anyone.  This is key.  I may want to talk about how a character's arc works or doesn't work for me or how some choices in a movie didn't seem like good ones to make, or heck, I may just not like a movie in it's entirety.  It totally happens.  Everyone has movies they don't like.  And I wouldn't take it personally, if you disagree.  The reason to watch these and discuss in this open format is to debate and try to figure out how things work for some and not for others, or how people's tastes differ.  So, don't be afraid to throw out a movie for my viewing that you may think I don't like or would judge you personally for.  I may even take polls on these things to see who agrees with me or others on certain topics.  Movies have target audiences.  It's a fact.  There isn't one movie that everyone can agree on...  ever.

I also don't want to alienate people by talking over their heads.  I can and will come off as a pretentious know-it-all at times, I'm sure.  But, I really want the non-movie-studying people alike to pipe in as to if they liked the films or didn't.  It's all of you that really make or break this industry as a whole.  On the other hand though, be ready to back yourself.  Don't just say you liked it, or didn't.  Just think a little...  why did you?  what part of that movie did you just sit there and say...  wow.  That was an amazing movie.  Or, what turned you off?  Cause I'll probably ask.

So, with the help of Netflix, my employee discount, and AMC/The Alamo Drafthouse, I'm making this thing happen.  I encourage you to come on this cinematic journey with me.

I would like to close with a quote...

 "When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, no, I went to films."
-Quentin Tarantino

5 comments:

  1. Hmm...not even sure where to begin. I guess it would help to have an idea what you have seen so far...cuz I could give you a list 50 deep but you may have seen them all already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I have seen a lot of really random ones really. Studied Italian and new Zealand film in college... But somehow missed Lotr until just last year and plan to see La Dolce Vita sometime soon. So,, just throw 'em out and we'll just have to see if it can make the list. I'm starting this thing tonight with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel having a well-rounded knowledge is best. Knowing the master/essential directors and their most notable films is what I look for. It may not necessarily be their best, but their film that exhibits their style and contribution (influence) to cinema is a good start and then you expand from there. So (off the top of my head) here's a few essentials IMO:

    Breathless - Godard (it's said 'there was film before Breathless and film after.')
    Seven Samurai, Yojimbo - Kurosawa
    Vertigo - Hitchcock
    Rules of the Game, Grand Illusion - Renior
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Kubrick
    8 1/2, La Dolce Vita - Fellini
    400 Blows, Jules and Jim - Truffaut
    The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries - Bergman
    M - Lang
    The General, Sherlock Jr. - Keaton
    City Lights, Modern Times - Chaplin
    Double Indemnity - Wilder
    Chinatown - Polanski
    Children of Paradise - Carne'
    The Third Man - Reed
    Nashville, Shortcuts - Altman
    Phantom of Liberty - Bunuel
    Shadows - Cassavetes
    Annie Hall, Manhattan - Woody Allen
    Tokyo Story - Ozu
    The Double Life of Veronique - Kieslowski
    Le Samourai - Melville
    The World of Apu - S. Ray
    The Celebration - Vinterberg (Dogme film #1)

    Hopefully this will give you a start - in case you haven't seen all of these. Mostly 'film school movies I know. I left off several obvious American Classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver, etc.) which I assume you're already quite familiar with...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2001 and La Dolce Vita are 2 GREAT ones to start off with. I probably couldn't pick a better two myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, only ones I have seen from this list: 8 1/2, 2001 (but only cause I watched it last night), City Lights, Casablanca (and had to write a 25 page thesis on it...), and Citizen Kane.

    Excited about Vita because I think it's going to be very different than Armacord and 8 1/2. Even though I did enjoy them.

    Thank you for the recommendations! I'll be chugging away at this list for a while :) You'll have to join me on this when I move!

    ReplyDelete